Wednesday, August 21, 2013

[Trans|Scan|Photo] CNBLUE Interview on B-PASS Magazine September Issue


The 6th single “Lady”, All 3 songs in the single are mainly written and composed by Yonghwa, it’s quite Yonghwa’s world! At first, about ‘Lady’, it was completed by fresh rock tune.

Yonghwa: I was conscious that it will be released on summer.

Minhyuk: We want to listen to lively rhythm in summer, don't we? This song has speed and power like summer. I'm sure you can feel coolness

Jonghyun: That's why many rock festivals are held in summer. Summer of rock . From the lyrics, i find a man who leads woman like 'Follow me'. Is your experience reflected it?

Yonghwa: To write lyrics, we depend on our own experience at any rate. It may be contained a little, but not 100%.

So, may I catch this song as love song?

Yonghwa: Yes, but I didn’t take priority over love lyrics. The lyric was born beyond my thought I want to put suitable lyrics on melody.

Jungshin: I feel the lyrics fit the melody. How should I put it in, the speed of melody linked with the feeling dashing for a lady well? This is a fresh love song.

The expression ‘like summer’ appeared many times, what kind of situation do you feel well-matched if you listen to this song?

Yonghwa: (He was thinking with humming refrain) Listen in the beginning of a hot day!! I’m sure we forget the heat and become refreshing day!

Jonghyun: In the car. It’s the best to listen to it during driving. It sounds good we listen to it driving along the coast.

I’ve thought this song is just for driving. All of you have a driver’s license, don’t you?

Jungshin: Yes, we have. Recently, I drove to Hangan (A large river in Seoul) with Yonghwa hyung. We drove to the riverside, parked a car and took a walk. We went back to home as we drank coffee in a car. It’s in Seoul and near places for us, but I felt it was fun to drive with favorite music all the way. I’m glad if you listen to the songs in such a situation.


Er, did you drive, only by two men?

Yonghwa: (wry smile) Is it strange!? Well.. We’re often drive only with men.

In term of your age, it’s a little wasteful in my opinion… (laugh) It’s relieved for fans.

Jungshin: Don’t catch it suspicious!!

Of course (laugh). I just felt you’re close too much.

Jungshin: Oh, that point (laugh)

Also this MV expresses a sensation of a band well. What do you think when finishing the MV?

Yonghwa: Well, it is worked out a visual plan and even only playing scene is nice enough.

Minhyuk: Especially, the lighting is good. I’m satisfied with the point that visual and stimulating effect combines the speed of song and playing well.

Jungshin: We are putting on the costume that we put in on MV today. People who haven’t watched it yet, please check it out.

The second song ‘Don’t care’, it’s also written lyrics and composed by Yonghwa. The lyrics is your proud English, the contents are nice!

Yonghwa: I made this song around spring. I was conscious of melody and lyrics that suit an acoustic guitar with my message ‘Look out around you more’ for people who live busy alone every day.

A little negative lyric on minor cord and the lyrics with strong will when cord changed, melody and lyrics linked well. I feel that lyrics were written in advance, but composing was the first, isn’t it?

Yonghwa: Yes it is. ‘Don’t care’ is revision ‘I’ from ‘I don’t care’; I think my own feeling appears ‘I’ in the lyrics. I send my messages to listeners or myself. A wave of my usual feeling may links with melody and lyrics.

Other members, what part do you feel sympathy in the lyrics?

Jonghyun: ‘You don’t know the beauty of life’, I think our ‘beautiful life’, and how to live is just now. Though we have hard time in our own way, I think its beautiful life to recognize that we are blessed now than to sigh over that only good things or only hard things happen.

Jungshin: Originally, the lyrics were like 1 kilometer, a few kilometers…

Jonghyun: What’s it?

Yonghwa: Ah, that’s episode (laugh). We were wondering that Jungshin and I write the lyrics together, but I quickly completed it by myself (laugh).

Jungshin: Hyung said ‘let’s write lyrics together’, we discussed many ideas. ‘This is interesting’ ‘How about it?’ like these. After that, I wrote as hard as I can. The distance between separated her and I am a few kilometers, I can’t see you anymore… maybe a theme like that, the title might be ‘3 kilometers’… I showed hyung my lyrics with full confident…, but he said ‘I already wrote’ (laugh). I was really shocked although my idea was good!(All members burst into laughing)

Yonghwa: Really, your idea was good. I’ll use it soon.


If it became lyrics, atmosphere is quite different.

Yonghwa: If his lyrics became this song’s lyrics, the second song also were love song.

Minhyuk: I prefer Yonghwa hyung’s lyrics though (laugh) But, new melody may be born based from Jungshin’s idea.

And the third song ‘Monday’ is also written lyrics and composed by Yonghwa. The title is Monday, but relaxed acoustic melody is comfortable as if we want to listen to it on Sunday. Meanwhile, I agree the idea of lyrics that everyone feels lazy in Monday morning, too.

Yonghwa: Thank you. The theme of this song is a dilemma frompeople who have to get up at the same time every day like a businessmen or students.

Theme is different, but in term of a dilemma in general public, it is a little similar with the idea of the 4th single ‘Robot’.

Yonghwa: Yes, a dilemma is deplored in Robot, but this time is milder.

Also, I like your sense that you use the keyword ‘time machine’ as a stuff of flight, not the scene talking about a dream (laugh)

Yonghwa: Such people can’t enjoy with all their hearts on Sunday night, so I guess they want to fly from Sunday night to Friday night by time machine.

By the way, today is Monday, what time did you get up?

All: about 10:30 am?

Minhyuk: in case of work, we often get up at six or eight like the lyrics. Especially in Japan.

So, could you get up early when you were student like the lyrics?

Yonghwa: I don’t remember how I get up back then. If I were told that return to the past, I can’t get up early like then every morning again! (He suddenly talked with Busan accent)

Which were you got up by, an alarm clock or your parents?

Yonghwa & Jungshin: By my mother.

3 members: Minhyuk, you had got up by yourself, hadn’t you?

Minhyuk: Yes, I set an alarm and tried to get up by myself. But only when I can’t get up, my mother came to get me up.

Jonghyun: I got up by myself because my parents went to work from early morning.

Jungshin: Jonghyun hyung regularly gets up even if his sleeping hours are short. He seems a light sleeping.

Jonghyun: I’m jealous with you because you can sleep anywhere.

Jungshin: Yeah, I seem to be able to sleep anywhere (laugh)

Yonghwa: You can sleep for hours deep like for 10 hours.


In term of your work, the day may be unrelated, if I dare to say, what day does you like the best?

Jungshin: Wednesday. Friday is said ‘burning Friday’, so there are many cars and people everywhere. People are full up from the afternoon on Saturday and Sunday. But, official workers work hard on Wednesday, so people are fewer crowds in the town.

Yonghwa: No, Monday is the least crowded. But I like Sunday! I’m free in Sunday night because I go home earlier for next day. Others care about next day, but I needn’t care.

Jonghyun: Although others have a day off, we sometimes can’t have it on Sunday. My friends and I don’t agree our day off.

Yonghwa: Another reason I like Sunday is because many favorite variety programs are broadcasted. Even if I don’t do anywhere, I really enjoy only watching TV on Sunday (with Busan accent)

Jonghyun: Even if I sleep because of tiredness, I wake up when TV program starts. (with Busan accent)

Minhyuk: I don’t like Monday and Friday morning because roads got choked. I like ordinary days when there aren’t so many people in the town.

As I see your lyrics, I feel your imagination is amazing. You write different themes by yourself for third parties. Especially, these days. Perhaps did you like reading when you were a child?

Yonghwa: I didn’t read so many books back then. I was told that read book by parents, if I finish reading a book; they gave me pocket money or allowed to go to play, so I kept it up. I’ve been not good at keeping sitting to do something.

Then, how was the imagination born?

Yonghwa: My parents like to make me learn several artistic things (with Busan accent). I went to learn what other children don’t learn, the instruments, arts, since I was young. So I always got A at art record. I think I was influenced by parents. Just it may be my nature!? (All: burst into laughing)

Jungshin: I know, hyung (laugh)

Now, finally summer tour. You’ll play 10 concerts at Zepp in 5 cities this year. Please tell us your enthusiasm.

Yonghwa: Talking of live, you may imagine speeding, but for a change this time, I suppose you can enjoy with relaxing. ‘Soft’ concept.

Minhyuk: We’ll tour with different construction from World tour’s and one in Japan. We wanted to change definitely.

Jungshin: The arena class venue and live house like Zepp, both have different attractions. Zepp have good acoustics and rapid feedback, so I like the size of Zepp. We will be able to show the contents that we couldn’t show or realize at arena tour last year. In a word, I guess fans and we will feel sympathy at the live.

Zepp tour is from the end of July to the middle of August, you have summer festival, and World tour starts from the end of August once again. Aren’t you confused with such busy schedule?

All: We got used to it.

Yonghwa: I can enjoy even on that situation. Before, we have done different activities in Korea and Japan, so I can switch in my head.

Jungshin: I feel this is one of the growths. It should be not easy to fit different contents of each tours. But we tried, we could. We had worries ‘can we do it?’ and we felt reality ‘If we do, we can do it’. We’ve repeated these and we come here.

For example, you play some songs both of Japan tour and world tour. Next to A is B in Japan tour, but next to A is C in world tour, in that case, have you ever nearly taken B for C?

Jungshin: I’m not that fool.

Jonghyun: Yes, I have.

Jungshin: Ah…. The fool is here (laugh)

Jonghyun: We sometimes change the set list during the tour, but I’ve forgotten it. In the new order, I had to start to play for first, but I forgot… I’ve experienced such thing once or twice. When I concentrate, I tend to make mistakes. I put set list in front of my foot, but I didn’t check it and only looking at guitar, so such accident happened. It may not happen now. I make sure to check.

Jungshin: We are busy with lives like now; I’m worried about other members’ condition more than mine. Especially, I’m worried about Yonghwa hyung’s throat state. Yonghwa and Jonghyun hyungs always work their bodies harder than me, so I’m sorry for that.

Yonghwa: I’m sorry!? We’re vocalist. So, sing instead of us, Jungshin. (laugh)

Jungshin: I just take back what I had said (laugh)

And you will appear at the festivals such as SUMMER SONIC for 2 consecutive weeks in August. You have festivals among the tour, how will you use them properly?

Yonghwa: We are working out a secret plan just now.

Minhyuk: I think each set list are important because of the difference that outdoor venue or indoor. We can show all of us at solo concerts, but we must show our music for short time at festivals, so we discuss a lot of ideas.

Jungshin: When we’re appeared at the festival in Niigata, I remember it was really fun outdoors. It was so hot, but audience is also hot, so we become hotter each other with music! There is such atmosphere. We will attack with the feeling like then at outdoor festival this year. Famous bands in the world such as Metallica, Linkin Park appear at Summer Sonic, so I’m looking forward to seeing them and I feel strange that the fact we’ll  compete with them. Honestly, I’m looking forward to it, but I’m uneasy that many audiences come or not.

Yonghwa: Jungshin, is it so important who play at the same time with us? We only concentrate our live. We play our live with all our hearts if there is even only person in front of us…. We will try with such minds. Honestly, I want many audiences to come (laugh)


That’s CNBLUE! Every band come with such minds, so we can enjoy the difference with solo live. I’m looking forward to it! By the way, you continue world tour lives by now; you’re the first Korean band that holds large scale world tour like this. Since you visit the world, did your visions have change?

Jonghyun: We’ve got a lot of ‘the first as Korean band’ since before. We feel ‘why so many?’, I appreciate the surrounding at first.

Jungshin: We dont feel superior to that; I wish we become a good model or aims for our junior bands.

Minhyuk: Of course it’s not only our efforts. I don’t know how much supports of staffs who give us such chances and fans who come to see us. Wherever; we don’t have conceit, I want our fans to see us and want to send other people. For it, I think it’s effective to visit many places and hold many lives.

You come here as third-years band since you’ve debuted, where will you go from now?

Yonghwa: I always say, our goal is to rank 1st at billboard chart. I feel we are getting closer and closer to it. I’ll keep saying until it’s realized.

Jungshin: There is a big senior band ‘YB’ in Korea. YB held tour in America a few years ago. I read a book about it. I felt an incentive from full their feelings. We want to try to tour in America like them someday!

Yonghwa: Our tour in only country is more times in Japan than in Korea, so we’ve studied many things in Japan. We can make the most of it surely, so we will be deeply moved if the day that we use our experiences in America comes!
CNBLUE will release their Japan 6th single “Lady” on July 31st. We let them talk about this single, which is like the summer and contains a title song that is a rock number like them (cnblue), and a world tour is going on now. And the theme of this column is the Korean ‘A test of courage’!  

Special column “Scary experience”
- In hot summers, like this year, it’s standard to do a test of courage and feel fear. Have you ever done it?

Jonghyun: It’s named ‘Guts test’ (in comparison of Japanese, words are a bit different, but the meaning is almost the same). I did it when I was a student.

Yonghwa, Minhyuk, Jungshin: I’ve never done it.

Yonghwa: Do people usually do it during summer vacation? It isn’t an extracurricular lesson, is it? I’ve never done it.

Jonghyun: Oh? Have you never done it? I’ve done it once or twice.

- We usually do it during a school trip or training camp in summer.

Minhyuk: Ah~ But we’ve never done it.

Yonghwa: If we’re belonging to YMCA or Boy Scouts, we might experience it. But we’re generally don’t do it. Where did you do it?

Jonghyun: I did it with some friends at the temple on the hill in the night. It might be different from a test of courage; we did a game in who goes back the fastest after he touched the wall.

Jungshin: In Japan, do people always do it? How to do it?


- In Japan everyone has probably done it, I think. When we are students, a pair of both sexes walks on a dark mountain path. Also, after we become adults, we drive to a haunted place.

All: It sounds interesting~! We want to do it.

Jungshin: Shall we try to do it? At the place we’re going to for the tour, for example.

Yonghwa: Hey.. Do you think it’s fun for only men to do it? (laugh) If there were girls, we might shriek..

Minhyuk: If only men do it, they shout or cling to someone..

Jonghyun: We become sultrier. (laugh)

- So, in relation to scariness, do you watch horror movies? In Korea, many horror movies are released in summer, aren’t they?

Jonghyun: Yes, I like them. We sometimes watch a movie together, but I can’t go on watching it because of noise.

Yonghwa: Anyhow Jungshin is noisy. He always shouts at scary scenes, so I can’t concentrate on the movie. Moreover, I get more scared because of his shouting.

Minhyuk: He holds my knees.

Jonghyun: Minhyuk, you have a habit in which you muttering while watching a movie.

Yonghwa: Yeah, Minhyuk is the person I don’t want to watch a movie together with the most, haha.

While watching a movie, he talks to me about the expression of the story. What will happen next? or Look, look! And so on.

Jungshin: Yes, even watching a love story, he says the boy and the girl will surely become so.


Jonghyun: Yonghwa hyung watches a movie without saying any words. When we shout, he freezes alone (laugh).



- Then, who is the biggest coward out of all members?

Jonghyun: I once had no scary things at all. It was okay to ride most of the vehicles in an amusement park, such as a roller coaster and watch horror movies. But since I became a adult, they are getting scarier for me.

Yonghwa: As much as, you have a right youth’s mind now (laugh). I’m more scared for cockroaches than horror movies. But Jungshin can catch them very well! (All members bursted into laughing)

Jonghyun: I once was calm about cockroaches, but now I’m scared.

- Touring so much, you stayed in many hotels, not only in Japan, but in other countries. So… it happens.. Appeared or not. (About a ghost)

All: We don’t care about it!!

Minhyuk: I’ve never thought about it, if anything, I try not to not think about it.

Yonghwa: Because we’re men, we aren’t scared for such a thing. All members have never been tied down and have never experienced it.

Jonghyun: But we’re tired and fall asleep fast, so we may have no time to feel it.

Minhyuk: What we are most scared of, is the human, isn’t it?

Jungshin: Yes, ‘A usual person’ is the scariest.


Yonghwa: There are more scary experiences in reality after all. It’s the best if they don’t happen. We rather want to be excited than scared, in the summer!







Scanned by Nuromianchaochi
Trans by Satsuki @ cnboice
Posted by Tara Lee @ bpb decode / cnboice

No comments:

Post a Comment